Thursday, March 8, 2012

Listening to Directions

Listening to directions is huge in the Fire Service.

I had just been hired and finished my mini academy with the department to work as an EMT. I finished my ride outs and did very well. I made an appointment to come meet with my captain at the station I had been assigned to.

I brought treats, a pen and notepad, and a great attitude. I met everyone and sat down with the captain. We talked about when to wear bullet proof vests on calls, station duties, expectations, AND that we should follow the rig out of the house for awhile until we know the area.



My first shift at my new station, I was paired with someone who was on overtime who had never been an EMT before.  This was his first shift off of ride outs, he did not know the area, and was in my academy. He is a great guy, a hard worker, and I enjoy working with him.

We called each other the night before and made sure we got to the station at the same time and went into the station and greeted everyone. We went out to the rig and spent a ton of time out there to learn where all our equipment was located.

We got a call, OUR FIRST CALL EVER with our engine. My partner ran over to the bay door panel and waited for them to come out so he could open the bay door for them. The engineer came out and said to my partner "What are you doing, we have a call, GO!" I was driving, my partner came over to the rig and said the engineer told us to go. Unfortunately, that meant go to our rig not leave.....


Continued on Monday...

Picture found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment