Monday, March 12, 2012

Listening to Directions Part II


Continued from the post on Thursday last week..

So we took off lights and sirens to our call. We had mapped it out and knew where we were going. Unfortunately, this was a frequent flyer con home with ONE drive way. The engine and ambulance always park in the same spot and have a certain way of doing things at this con home.

The engine was behind us and I noticed in my side mirror they had pulled over already. I was at the location but missed the driveway. I had to go down the street and make a u-turn. As I turned, I see the engineer standing on the sidewalk with his arms above his head with a disgusted look on his face. I turned beat red, we messed up. We ran the call and my partner made a few mistakes on an acute call.

At the end of the call and back at the station. We were told we were only going to be gurney men for the rest of the shift. They understood it was my partners first EMT position and that I had experience. The rest of the shift the Captain assigned me to work on my partners skills. My Captain also reminded me about following the rig out of the house for awhile until we knew the area. I responded with "Yes, sir." and did not give any kind of excuse.

I learned a lot and the crew understood it was our first shift and that we were excited. I have a great bond with my crew now and they always joke when tones go off and that address is said. They always ask me if I want directions on how to get there.  It was a great learning experience that I will never forget to listen to directions.  

No comments:

Post a Comment